The Menin Gate is a First World War memorial standing at the eastern edge of the old town of Ypres (Ieper), Belgium, designed by British architect Sir Reginald Blomfield and unveiled in 1927. Inside its arch, stone panels carry the names of 54,896 British and Commonwealth soldiers who fell in the Ypres Salient but have no known grave, crowned by a stone lion that symbolises both Britain and Flanders. A major restoration that began in 2023 was completed in spring 2025, so as of 2026 the memorial is fully open again and the nightly 8 pm 'Last Post' bugle ceremony once more takes place beneath the arch. It is first and foremost a place of remembrance, best visited quietly and with respect.
The panels of 54,896 names of the missing filling the walls of the Hall of Memory — the sheer scale speaks to the scale of the loss.
The daily Last Post ceremony at 8 pm sharp — a moving act of remembrance sounded here every evening since 1928.
The stone lion resting atop the gate, a symbol of both Britain and Flanders.
The restored stonework and subtle floodlighting, especially atmospheric after dark following the 2023–2025 conservation.
The moat and ramparts walk beside the gate — a peaceful loop that pairs naturally with a visit to the memorial.
Good to know
MannersThe 8 pm Last Post is a solemn ceremony, not a show. During it, avoid talking, loud noise and flash photography, and observe the bugle call and silence quietly.
RulesThe ceremony is free and needs no booking, but it is standing-room only. Arrive by 7:15–7:30 pm for a good spot; wheelchair users should arrive by 7:45 pm and ask a volunteer steward for a reserved place.
CautionThere are no tickets of any kind for the Last Post. Ignore anyone selling 'reserved-seat' or 'entry' passes, and don't confuse paid coach tours with the free ceremony itself.
SeasonJuly–August and the anniversaries around 24 July and 11 November draw large crowds — arrive earlier in peak season. Flanders weather is changeable even in summer, so bring a light jacket and an umbrella.
SafetyThe ground and steps under the arch are old stone and can be slippery after dark. Traffic is halted during the ceremony but the road is otherwise live, so watch the road and stay on the pavement and steps.
RulesThe adjacent CWGC Visitor Centre (46 Menenstraat) opens Tue–Sun 13:00–21:00 and is closed on Mondays; staff there can help you search names and locate graves.
Practical info
The memorial is about a 15-minute walk from Ieper railway station, in a compact town easily covered on foot; trains reach Ieper via a change at Kortrijk from Brussels or Ghent. The open-air gate is free and accessible around the clock and the Last Post is free to attend, but check the Last Post Association and CWGC official sites for the latest opening times and ceremony details before you go.
On-site reviews📍 Verified on-site
No reviews yet. If you are here, be the first to leave one.