Reichsburg Cochem (Cochem Imperial Castle) crowns a hill about 100 m above the Moselle River. First built around the year 1000, it became a direct imperial possession under the Holy Roman Emperors in the 12th century, which is why it is called the 'Reichsburg' (imperial castle). After being destroyed in 1689 by the troops of France's Louis XIV, it lay in ruins until Berlin businessman Louis Ravené rebuilt it in Neo-Gothic (Gothic Revival) style between 1868 and 1877, giving it today's romantic silhouette. Owned and run as a museum by the town of Cochem since 1978, it is the landmark of the Moselle wine town of Cochem and the region's most popular attraction. As of 2026 the interior is seen only on guided tours, and its sweeping views over the river and vineyards make it a favorite day trip.
Richly decorated interiors, including the Knight's Hall (Rittersaal), with Renaissance and Baroque furnishings and painted ceilings and walls designed by Prof. Ernst Ewald
The 1868–1877 Neo-Gothic reconstruction by Louis Ravené, a 19th-century romantic vision raised on medieval foundations, with its picturesque towers and facades
Panoramic views over the Moselle River, terraced vineyards and the colorful old town from the castle courtyard and terrace
The castle chapel at the southern tip (popular for weddings and small concerts), plus the dining hall, trophy room and the bower (women's chamber)
Its history as a customs castle, when a chain stretched across the Moselle could block passing ships to collect tolls
Good to know
RulesThe castle interior can be visited only on a guided tour (about 40 minutes). Individual visitors and small groups under 15 cannot reserve, so buy tickets on arrival at the on-site souvenir shop or via the official online shop.
SeasonIn 2026 the summer season (14 Mar–1 Nov) runs daily 9:30–17:00 and the winter season (2 Nov–23 Dec) shortens to 10:00–15:00; the castle is closed on 25 Dec. Hours vary by season, so check the official site for the latest before you go.
SafetyIt is a steep 15-minute uphill walk from the old-town market square (about 45 minutes from Cochem station). Wear comfortable shoes, and from May to October use the seasonal shuttle bus (line 701) departing from Endertplatz.
MannersNo food, drink or smoking during tours, and no tripods or indoor filming (handheld photos without a tripod are allowed). Strollers must be left outside the main gate; leashed dogs are welcome.
CautionBuy tickets only at the official ticket office or the official online shop (reichsburg-cochem.ticketfritz.de), and beware third-party reseller sites that add mark-ups.
SeasonEnglish tours run roughly hourly depending on demand, while German tours depart every 15 minutes with free translation sheets in 12 languages. Ask at the ticket office on arrival for the next tour time in your language.
Practical info
The castle is about a 45-minute walk from Cochem train station, or a steep 15-minute climb from the old-town market square (a seasonal shuttle, line 701, runs from Endertplatz from May to October); cars cannot reach the castle, so park in town and walk up. In 2026 it opens daily 9:30–17:00 in summer (14 Mar–1 Nov) and 10:00–15:00 in winter (2 Nov–23 Dec), closed 25 Dec; regular-tour tickets are sold only on site or via the official online shop with no reservations for individuals or small groups, so confirm prices and hours on the official website before visiting.
On-site reviews📍 Verified on-site
No reviews yet. If you are here, be the first to leave one.